Thursday 12 February 2009

what dance means to me .........

to the blogosphere, the dance world and the universe at large

If my contemporary and friend Amelia will chose to offer insight and wisdom and theory and insight on this blog then i suppose my job is to give you some gossip plain and true .
Just kidding.
Well maybe just a bit won't hurt.

When i first performed this piece with Tanja and the guys in 2006 I remember feeling like I was a contestant in a show that was a mix between 'the biggest loser' (a weight loss reality show here in oz) and 'dancing with the stars' (now don't pretend you don't know what that one is). In this show I was the only contestant and I had to train and work with some of the world's best dancers every day and then put on a show. And in the television ratings of my life this particular show was a huge hit.

Up to this point I had only ever done a couple of dance classes at Drama school. The jive. The waltz. But to tell you the truth I wasn't really paying that much attention.

I thought that dance was ..... Well I'm not entirely sure if I thought about it at all. I never saw it and I certainly never considered myself a dancer, apart from when I was cutting the rug at parties or what have you.

The closest I ever got to dance was watching my sister perform at her tap and jazz eistedfords when I was a kid. Big epic concerts that went from 4:30 in the afternoon all the way through to 11pm just to get through all the students.
I would sit there and make jokes with my dad, and gush with pride when my sister came on and at the end, when it was all done, would always be left with this feeling that I wanted to try it. But I never did.

Fast forward more than a decade and I am in a company of dancers touring to the U to the K.

How did this happen?

Stay tuned to find out............

big love to any and all

hopen

ps. will try for some pics in my next post

No comments:

Post a Comment