Monday 2 February 2009

an extreme sports style challenge

I am not currently in the habit of posting writing, pictures, sound or anything else onto the “world wide web” or into “cyber space”, as I like to call the internet, in my own little hark back style of humour. I’m not sure why but I find it a little funny, just to hint at an old fashioned disconnection from the deep social position internet communication has taken in my broad community.

I told everyone in the studio on our first day together, Tuesday, that I wanted to use this page to make a connection with people who come to our show, or can’t come to our show, or want to read about theatre practices. I don’t want to irregularly contribute something inane like “man, I love this cast, we rocked it tonight. It’s so cool working with my friends”. But I guess only time will tell. I’m not some sort of genius. For example, just now I started to read an essay entitled “What is an Event?” and I got as far as:
Chaos does not exist; it is an abstraction because it is inseparable from a screen that makes some- thing - something rather than nothing - emerge from it. Chaos would be a pure Many, a purely disjunctive diversity, while the something is a One, not a pregiven unity, but instead the indefinite article that designates a certain singularity. How can the Many become the One? A great screen has to be placed in between them. Like a formless elastic membrane, an electromagnetic field, or the receptacle of the Timaeus, the screen makes something issue from chaos, and even if this something differs only slightly.

And now I am writing to you instead. I will warn you I can be fairly sure the quality of my posts over the next few months will vary. I will do my best to be fascinating. As Sol reminded us all, what goes up stays up. Words, online.

I could be seeing this as an extreme sports style challenge, to put back into perfect form the most difficult work I have ever danced and have not rehearsed for two years in nine days. But I have to say, we are feeling like an unstoppable room of disciplined warrior beauties. When I look around me, I’m so impressed that any fearful notion I will fail is disappeared.

So, after the second day, which was today, I am sore and tired (dancers catch cry) but just so happy. I find it fulfilling to spend my time making more space for Tanja’s work to shine. And I can’t believe how much I love working so hard with these, my amazing friends.

3 comments:

  1. You're beautiful! Thanks so much for sharing your thoughts with us as you all go through the emotional and exciting process of recreating Tanja's work.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. How can the Many become the One?
    Noticing how to get out of the way of ourselves.
    TRUST joy will attract much power - clarity - and beauty of expression <><> your openness is inspiring - burn like a flame - all is illusion.
    Play it out with no hesitation ;p

    ReplyDelete