Thursday 19 February 2009

The Preset(s)

I'm jealous of the guys. It must be such a special time, the preset. (Note: the preset is the half hour proir to the advertised show start time, and the male cast have already begun to work). They create the space in which the performance is going to sit. Outlining, weaving, breathing the blood into the cells of the air. i want to move freely and pour myself into that pace as well. But us girls, we huddle behind the wall, and try not to cast shadows while we stretch. I never know for sure what they make there, but I like how it sits in the room.

I'll tell you something else- the Presets are an australian electronic duo. Our sound check soundtrack. Music to make your day happy- talented guys. 

Lots of interesting things have cropped up, in between the drives and the bundles of clothes. The clothes are just annoying, dirty or clean, and the drives are alll 'is jennifer anniston sexy?' am i smart for using soundwave in hangman and my goodness i want to lie on you so bad. I have eaten pizza 3 times, salmon 5 times and gin 10 times.

an interesting thing?
i searched for a place between focus and distraction. Ideally, i want to work at levels of total mental alertness at all times, but I really noticed in the first few days how the long haul travel affected my focus. i believe the modern term is 'jet lag'. it was hard to concentrate. So in stead of reflecting on how tired I was, how weird my body was, how I was behind my own plan, I committed that anytime I noticed I had drifted off, I would accept that focus was on it's way. Actually, this reminds me of 'the wadi'. Julyen Hamilton (google him) told me about the wadi, which is a dry riverbed. A place where, in a desert, it is more likely that water might arrive than just standing elsewhere on the dry plain. in relation to movement composition, he proposed that when you realise you have lost focus, or missed yourself perhaps, to get it back all you have to do is go to the wadi. You don't have to solve it immediately- just go to the place where it is more likely to be solved. And you will solve it immediately. The body is quick.

the shows are building and building- always building. I look forward to feeling stronger and more machine like everyday. Growing myself into the role with each note, each thought, each plie/releve.

Thankyou DTP for the great welcome in Coventry.
Thankyou Jean and Mike for visiting me in Newcastle. The fruit cake is so so good.
Thankyou Tim for saying hello, and I hope you post your show notes.
Thankyou Raj for the sleeve and great knife story.

Most importantly for me, to my injury- anything you can do, I can do better.

Amelia
 

1 comment:

  1. hey amelia... hope you're doing well over there. i love the idea of a state between focus and distraction. jacob often talks about being fully committed (focussed) while also being completely disinterested (available to be distracted). thanks for sharing the wadi idea to.
    love to you
    david

    ReplyDelete